This article will discuss how to teach your child healthy eating habits. The parents need to instill in the child healthy eating habits at the right age.
This way, they will be able to lead a healthy life.
There are various benefits of a child having a healthy diet, including a healthy heart, improved brain functioning, and a child’s life expectancy.
According to the National Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (NAFD), healthy eating habits are vital for your child to grow up healthy and strong. Healthy eating habits should be the foundation of a child’s life.
Many factors affect a child’s eating habits, such as:
- Children of mothers who are obese are likely to be overweight and have a higher risk of being overweight.
- Children of parents with unhealthy diets also are likely to have unhealthy eating habits.
- Parents who consume unhealthy foods have an increased risk of diseases like heart disease and cancer.
Since a child’s palate for healthy foods is different from an adult’s, it is important to discuss children’s eating habits with your child and teach them about healthy eating at an early age.
We have compiled a list of eating habits for children and suggestions for parents on how to guide their children on how to eat healthily.
Drink plenty of water
Always drink a lot of water. Children are more likely to be hungry if they do not get enough water in a day.
Try to be a water-guzzling mom.
High-fat content in milk can make your child feel full and can make them eat more.
Water and milk are considered to be healthy, so try to include them in your child’s diet as often as possible.
Vegetables are a must-have in every diet.
Children should eat lots of vegetables. It will help them build a healthy, strong body.
There are three vegetable groups that children should include in their diet every day. They include leafy green vegetables, sweet vegetables, and citrus fruits.
Fish is an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids
Fish are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids. There are different types of fish for kids, depending on the age.
The children should consume at least two servings of seafood each week. This will provide them with the essential nutrients they need.
Limit sugar-sweetened drinks and snacks
Avoid the consumption of sugary drinks and snacks such as colas, candy, and fruit juices. They have a lot of sugar in them.
Instead, you can mix honey and apple sauce and sprinkle some cinnamon powder to taste. The sugar content in honey is low, which is the ideal combination for children.
Vegetables should be boiled. Boiling will retain the nutrients in them.
Boiling also reduces the color of the vegetables. Boiling vegetables release their nutrients from their raw forms and makes them easier for your child to digest.
Eggs are one of the healthiest foods you can eat
Eggs are a good source of protein and important vitamins and minerals. There are many health benefits of eggs.
Eggs are a good source of choline, vitamin D, B vitamins, and riboflavin.
Eat fish regularly
Parents should limit their children’s intake of fish, but when they eat it, they should eat fish in the variety recommended by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to get the most of the beneficial nutrients present.
The FDA recommends children to eat a range of fishes that are low in mercury. The FDA also recommends that children eat seafood twice a week.
Limit your child’s intake of fried and refined carbohydrates
Fried carbohydrates can increase the risk of obesity and heart disease. Limit your child’s intake of fried carbohydrates like french fries, cakes, cookies, and soda.
The carbohydrate in refined carbohydrates is almost as harmful as refined flour.
Limit your child’s intake of grains
Adolescents and children should limit the consumption of grains and processed foods that contain them.
When your child eats grains and processed foods, they may have a change in behavior and mood.
Limit your child’s intake of salt
Although salt is a necessary mineral in your child’s diet, children should avoid consuming too much of it.
Several studies have shown that high sodium intake increases the risk of type 2 diabetes.
Limit your child’s intake of high-fat foods
Adolescents and children should limit their intake of high-fat foods. Some high-fat foods that should be limited include high-fat dairy, butter, and cheese.
High-fat dairy products increase the risk of heart disease in the teenage years.
Reduce your child’s intake of saturated fat
Saturated fat is solid at room temperature.
It is present in many dairy products and can increase heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, and heart failure.
Avoid artificial colors and preservatives
Adolescents and children should limit their intake of artificial colors and preservatives.
They should also limit their intake of salt.
Children should avoid consuming caffeinated drinks. Caffeine is a stimulant.
It affects the nervous system and can increase the risk of ADHD.
Caffeinated beverages such as coffee, tea, and energy drinks should not be consumed in moderation.
Limit your child’s intake of alcohol
Adolescents and children should limit the intake of alcohol. Alcohol increases the risk of poor health. It also affects behavior.
Excessive alcohol consumption can affect your child’s sleeping pattern and increase their risk of cardiovascular disease and poor sleep.
Alcohol can also cause drowsiness and disorientation.
Consume nutrient-dense foods
You can limit your child’s sugar intake by reducing the consumption of candy, sweets, and sugary drinks. Choose nutrient-dense foods like fish, lean meats, fresh fruits, and vegetables.
18. Give your child only clear liquids
Water is a necessary nutrient that your child needs to stay hydrated and healthy. Do not allow your child to have too much fluid.
Provide your child with a healthy diet at each meal
Choose a wholesome, balanced diet that provides your child with the necessary nutrients, including food, vitamins, and minerals, as well as vitamins A, C, and D, calcium, and iron.
Your child should eat healthy by listening to him and experimenting with different tastes. Healthy food does not only taste good, but it also saves you from diabetes.
- Expose your child to a variety of food that he likes.
- Teach him to pick nutritious and tasty foods.
- Make him get rid of foods that are poisonous to him.
- Use clean ingredients in cooking.
- Teach him to put healthy food on the plate.
- Teach him to avoid junk food.
- Encourage him to take exercise for his body and mind.
- Make him eat with his family members.
Healthy eating tips for kids
- Children, especially teens, should eat breakfast.
- An excess of sugar and fat leads to weight gain and causes obesity. So, teach them to eat healthily.
- Teach your child to drink pure water and fruit juices. This makes them strong and happy.
- Children should have healthy fats from olive oil and flaxseed oil.
- Give your child a variety of healthy fats from eggs and peanut butter.
- Make sure that your child eats 5-6 times a week.
- Always avoid oily food and a combination of fried and unhealthy food.
- Have fresh fruit, vegetables, and whole grains in the house.
- Teach your child to drink plenty of water. This will help in the healthy growth of his brain and body.
- Teach your child to choose nutritious food. Choose healthy foods over junk food.
- Encourage your child to stay away from sugary beverages.
- The problem with children is they often crave sweets and unhealthy foods. So, it would help if you plan a balance between healthy and unhealthy foods.